Outreach & Social Ministry Overview
God’s Work…Our Hands
First Lutheran Church is freed in Christ to love and serve our neighbors! We have found many ways to use the gifts we have been given to serve our community. For example:
- For many years, First Lutheran has broadcast Sunday services over the radio to reach homebound or working worshipers
- We host food drives to help stock The Lord’s Cupboard and the MSU food pantry
- We financially support the important work of the Minot Area Homeless Coalition
- Each Christmas our members purchase nearly 100 wished-for Christmas gifts for children at McKinley and Ramstad and their families
- Our quilters create and donate almost 100 quilts each year through Lutheran World Relief
- We regularly provide meeting space for several community organizations such as the Heritage Singers, the Chamber Chorale, The Nodakords, and the Boy Scouts
We also focus time and energy in additional social ministries as well as partnerships with other local ministry groups. You can learn more by clicking the links below.
Luther’s Kitchen serves a free lunch every Friday, from 11:30 am – 12:30 pm, in the Parish Center at First Lutheran Church.
Luther’s Kitchen has been serving the community since 1982. The menu is primarily a variety of soups, hot dishes and salads. On average, they serve about 80-100 guests every week. Luther’s Kitchen is staffed solely by volunteers, and is supported by contributions of both food and money from First Lutheran Church and the Great Plains Food Bank. In addition, food donated from Cash Wise Foods and other sources is used as part of the day’s meal, or guests may take it with them for later.
Luther’s Kitchen is one of several food resources that have coordinated to provide meals 7 days a week at various churches in the Minot area.
Click here to access a complete list of Minot Area Soup Kitchens.
The Social Ministry Committee of First Lutheran Church is responsible for identifying needs in our community, nation and world and encouraging our congregation to address these needs in Jesus’ name. The committee recently created the Give Some campaign, in which our members are asked to add some small item to their monthly shopping and donate it in support of a local cause. You can participate by making small purchases to add to the monthly collection. Past collections included:
· September: individually packaged toothbrushes for the Men’s Winter Refuge
· October: hats, gloves or scarves for distribution by the Minot Area Homeless Coalition
· November: food for the Lord’s Cupboard and MSU food pantry
· December: Angel Tree gifts for families in our neighborhood
· January: personal care items for women living at The Sanctuary
· February: winter coats and snow pants to be distributed in the fall at McKinley and Longfellow schools
· March: baby items for the boutique at Dakota Hope Clinic
This campaign has been temporarily suspended due to Covid-19 restrictions. Check back for our next collection category!
Lutheran Campus Ministries
Lutheran Campus Ministry is an outreach program of the ELCA to help students in state and public colleges and universities discern their callings, to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all people, and to provide Christian community and support for students through Word and Sacrament, and through a listening ear.
The Lutheran Campus Ministry of Minot is very active under the leadership of Deacon Anna Dykeman. They are perhaps best known for offering “Tuesday Soup” in cooperation with local congregations. Each Tuesday from 11:30-1:30, a free soup lunch is served in the atrium of the MSU Administration Building. Students, faculty and staff are all invited to enjoy a warm cup of soup and conversation.
Lutheran Campus Ministry has their office on the second floor of the new Student Wellness Center at MSU. Stop by and say hi!
Visit their website for more information: https://www.lcmminot.com